26

As many of you know, Jake and I recently celebrated our 26th birthdays--my birthday was the 6th and Jake's was the 10th. It's actually really fun to share your birthday month (or week, as is often the case for us) with your significant other. I'm hoping that means that those watershed birthdays like 30 or 50 will pass a little easier knowing my hubs is right there with me :).

We didn't go too crazy for our birthday this year, as we're a little tight on cash AND we've been saving for a weekend Seattle trip next month. So no gifts or date night for us, just a fun, low-key day at the Oregon Zoo. Jake and I have had passes to the San Diego Zoo for the past couple of years, and I had a pass nearly my entire life growing up in SD, so we're a little partial. But we were pleasantly surprised by what the Oregon Zoo had to offer! The Northwest exhibit, in particular was really cool, as many of the animals that normally would be put out by the Southern California heat were super active in the cold weather. Here a couple of the furry friends we encountered:



And us :). You probably can't tell from this picture, but we were f-r-e-e-z-i-n-g! In case you didn't already know, jeans do a miserable job of keeping your legs warm. Yet, we continue to wear them anyway...



I went back to school this week, and after 4 weeks off, I pretty much got my butt kicked. I am not exaggerating when I say that I literally read from 8:30 AM Wednesday morning until Jake got home from work at 6 PM, save for the hour that I allowed myself to get in a quick run and a shower just for some sense of sanity. Needless to say, I was a bleary-eyed mess by the end of the day. And I still didn't finish my reading for Thursday. Ouch. It could be a long 10 weeks. In fairness, I do have to give my professors some credit, as I only spent $167 on books this term. In all of my academic career, I have never spent that little on textbooks. And reading hell aside, I'd be lying if I didn't confess to being SUPER excited about my Community Organizing and International Health classes this term. Great professors, great articles, great projects.

This week has been stunning (the forecast actually promised 'abundant sunshine' and it really lived up to it!), but tomorrow marks the start of rain, rain, rain and more rain.



Guess that's what everyone's been warning us about. Here goes...

Comments

Popular Posts