Married... with Homework

Last week was not my finest in terms of being a good wife. There's a learning curve to being both a wife AND a student--and I'm still in it. Last week was the official halfway point of our 10 week quarter and I am still totally not adjusted to the quarter system. For two of my three classes, I only see my professors a whopping 9 times because of Thanksgiving break; how in the heck does anyone retain anything?? On one hand, you never really have the opportunity to get bored. If you don't like a particular class, professor, or teaching style, so what? You only have to live with it for 10 weeks. But good night, the exams and assignments come at you hard and fast.

The thing is, when you're  a student, there's always more that you could do. When I was working, the day was over when I left the office (not always, of course, but for the most part). I have had SO many fears and doubts going into my graduate program--am I qualified for this? Have I been out of school too long? Can I still write papers and remember to cite things properly? Am I smart enough to be in graduate school? All of which is totally ridiculous, really, because I WAS accepted and I DID receive a scholarship that I DID NOT  apply for. But what it means is that I totally overdo it. I had a Biostatistics midterm exam last week that I agonized over--and it turned out to be a total cake walk. I killed myself working on a literature review regarding successful efforts to increase breastfeeding among women of low socioeconomic status; I wrote and rewrote draft after draft after draft...

So, because last week I barely cooked, there were always dirty dishes in the sink, the house was messy (ok, it was MY definition of messy, but still) and I had been all wound up about school, we decided to blow off some steam at Brew Fest. Lucky for us, Jake and I now reside in the microbrew capital of the country. (My husband has turned me into a total beer-drinker, by the way. Bet you didn't see that one coming). We've been to Rogue in Newport, plan to visit Deschutes in a couple of weeks in Bend, and Block 15 locally. But at Brew Fest, they had breweries from all over the state of Oregon and other parts of the West Coast (Stone was there!). If any of you lived here, I would insist we head over to Flat Tail Brewery in Corvallis right now and have ourselves some amazing Feathertop Pumpkin Stout to get us in the fall spirit. It rocked our world. Another good one that I know you can probably get your hands on at BevMo is Rogue's Hazelnut Brown--it is pure award-winning coffee-like beer goodness. Do yourselves a favor and pick up a six-pack. Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts